Saturday, July 24, 2010

Playing with Mica Shift

Mica Shift - what an incredible technique! I started playing with it one day, and just can't seem to stop. I especially like the way Skinner blends look with the mica sift technique applied. Of course, once you have these lovely sheets, you need to do something with them...Then I found some little curved spacers at Beaded Impressions, and decided to see how they'd look as embellishments. Here's a couple of pendant/earring sets ~ I especially like the fact that the little discs move and twirl.

Just so you can see the discs and the mica pattern, here's a close up:


I also had to incorporate PMC in a piece with a little movement. I really like the ability to have the texture that is imbedded in the PMC echoed in the smooth mica shift of the polymer. What a great combination of media!

If you're not familiar with the mica shift technique, there is a great tutorial on Polymer Clay Central. The tutorial is done by Kellie Robinson, and is very clear with excellent photos. Here's the URL:
http://www.polymerclaycentral.com/ms_texture.html
Give it a try! Bet you can't do just one!

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful! i love those shapes and colors!
    hugs and kisses :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Iris! I value your comments. It's great to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I followed a link from Iris's blog over here and am loving what you are doing with the mica shift and found objects! Great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you "wandered over!" I'll be posting some new mica shift pieces in a few days. Let me know what you think. :)

    ReplyDelete