Monday, March 3, 2014

Going Miniature with Penni Jo Couch

Penni Jo knows her way around sculpture, and does absolutely incredible things - in miniature!  I was enchanted with the samples of  her work we got to see, and the techniques she shared really excited me. If you've been following my blog for a while, you may recall that in December, 2012, I posted a series of pendants I had made with tiny flowers and vines.  The flowers and vines were all formed individually by hand and applied to a baked base.  I really loved the look, and enjoyed making those pieces, but they took a great deal of time.


Well, Penni Jo had a couple of technique "tricks" up her sleeve - and they're just what I needed.  I'll be able to create miniature leaves and petals just a bit faster and with more control over size and consistency.  She does her work on raw clay, and that also seems to make a difference.

I think the miniature look is incredibly delicate and light. I can't wait to give more designs a try.






In her workshop for CFCF,  Penni Jo had us all make hearts and decorate them using the techniques she taught.  I finished my first and started a second, then ran out of time.  Since I was going to have to fly the pieces home, I baked them both.  The periwinkle piece is finished.  I really loved the scalloped edges she taught us to make.  Since I had to bake the turquoise piece to bring it home, I don't know if I'll be able to match the leaves or if I'll just keep it as a "reminder/idea."

In case you don't know, Penni Jo makes wonderful molds for use with polymer.  She also has a great tool kit, and it's definitely worth taking a look at if you want to do miniatures. She sells both on her shop on Etsy.

1 comment:

  1. Kristie, Thank you so very much for the kind comments and for sharing your beautiful designs. I can't wait to see what you do in the future with this technique.

    ReplyDelete